When properly performed, the techniques of scoring and steaming both serve to improve the quality and esthetics of the finished bread. Scoring provides a place for the controlled expansion of the loaf during the oven spring phase of baking, thus contributing to the lightness of crumb and visual attractiveness of the loaf. Steaming during the first few minutes of baking […]
Tag Archive 'steaming'
- "Bread is the king of the table and all else is merely the court that surrounds the king. The countries are the soup, the meat, the vegetables, the salad, but bread is king."- Louis Bromfield, American novelist (1896-1956)
air incorporation apples baguette batard bouton d'or bread Brioche caraway cherry ciabatta cider cinnamon cloverleaf rolls corn croissants diadème fendu flour/water slurry focaccia folding hand mixing high hydration levain pain au chocolat pain de Beaucaire pain de campagne pain Normande peanut pecan pizza poolish pâte fermentée raisin rosemary rye scoring sesame shaping sourdough sponge starter steaming stencil sticky bun Viennoiserie Introduction (1)
Lean Doughs (16)
Rich Doughs (13)
- au Levain!
- bons focs
- Bringing food chemistry to life
- Chocolate & Zucchini
- du miel et du sel
- Hefe und mehr
- King Arthur Flour
- Madrid Tiene Miga
- Occupe-toi de tes oignons
- San Francisco Baking Institute
- Sourdough Companion
- The Bread Bakers Guild of America
- The Fresh Loaf
- Votre Pain
- Wild Yeast
- Ye Olde Bread Blogge
- SteveB: Hi Jim, Having never had the opportunity to bake bread in...
- Jim Myers: Steve, Thank you so much for the information. I am new to ...
- Bill L: My first try at Focaccia. My dough was much more liquid tha...
- Carmen: Thanks Steve!
- SteveB: Hi Carmen, If you pull a small piece of dough slowly betw...
- Katie: What a great resource you have created here! We admire your ...