When properly performed, the techniques of scoring and steaming both serve to improve the quality and esthetics of the finished bread. Scoring provides a place for the controlled expansion of the loaf during the oven spring phase of baking, thus contributing to the lightness of crumb and visual attractiveness of the loaf. Steaming during the first few minutes of baking […]
Tag Archive 'steaming'
- "We have learned to see in bread an instrument of community between men—the flavour of bread shared has no equal."- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, French pilot and poet (1900-1940)
air incorporation apples baguette batard bouton d'or bread Brioche caraway cherry ciabatta cider cinnamon cloverleaf rolls corn croissants diadème fendu flour/water slurry focaccia folding hand mixing high hydration levain pain au chocolat pain de Beaucaire pain de campagne pain Normande peanut pecan pizza poolish pâte fermentée raisin rosemary rye scoring sesame shaping sourdough sponge starter steaming stencil sticky bun Viennoiserie Introduction (1)
Lean Doughs (16)
Rich Doughs (13)
- au Levain!
- bons focs
- Bringing food chemistry to life
- Chocolate & Zucchini
- du miel et du sel
- Hefe und mehr
- King Arthur Flour
- Madrid Tiene Miga
- Occupe-toi de tes oignons
- San Francisco Baking Institute
- Sourdough Companion
- The Bread Bakers Guild of America
- The Fresh Loaf
- Votre Pain
- Wild Yeast
- Ye Olde Bread Blogge
- Candice: Thanks so much Steve
- SteveB: annie k, Adding boiling water to the soaker grains and al...
- annie k: Hi Steve, Is there anything wrong with boiling the whole gr...
- Neal: Thanks for getting back to me. Will definitely give it a try...
- SteveB: Hi Neal, Although Italian Tipo 00 flour describes the fin...
- Neal: I tried the recipe, and followed it to the letter. The crust...